Testing Center Update
The Technical College System of Georgia is committed to assisting students achieve their maximum potential. All students applying for degree, diploma, and certificate programs must be assessed prior to acceptance. We accept the following tests: ASSET, COMPASS, ACT, SAT, ACCUPLACER, and COMPANION. If you require special accommodations during testing, you must request accommodations with the Special Services Coordinator or Testing staff.
ACCUPLACER is a suite of tests that determines your knowledge in math, reading and writing as you prepare to enroll in college-level courses. ACCUPLACER is used to identify your strengths and weaknesses in each subject area and to help you improve your skills through interactive online learning tools. The results of the assessment, in conjunction with your goals and interests, are used by academic advisors to place you in the appropriate college courses.
Policies & Procedures
ACCUPLACER is a comprehensive computer–adaptive testing system that helps to place students in appropriate courses and maximizes the information SCTC needs to ensure student success. ACCUPLACER consists of three components: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. The mathematics components consist of Arithmetic, Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra & Statistics and Advanced Algebra (by request only). If a student’s scores reflect learning support is needed, students will be placed in the appropriate courses. Your test scores will determine if you need additional courses and fees. A retest is offered if a student does not meet the minimum requirement score for his/her program.
Policies & Procedures
- Testing Staff will provide all materials (paper and pencil) needed for testing. Students can access the built in calculator on specific questions of the ACCUPLACER Test.
- There will be a nonrefundable testing fee.
- Testing is on a first come first serve basis. During busy times, there may be a short wait before a seat in the testing center becomes available.
- Hats, personal calculators, head phones, music devices, cell phones, Bluetooth, smart watches, or any type of study aides are not allowed in the lab.
- If a student is caught cheating, he or she will not be allowed to finish the exam and the scores will be voided in accordance with the Student Handbook, Student Conduct Code, Academic Misconduct.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the testing lab.
- Students will be provided with an assigned locker for all personal belongings.
- The Testing Center is not liable for any lost or stolen items.
- There is no talking once you begin your test. Please use the restroom before entering the Testing Center.
- Testing staff is available to assist with computer use and interpreting scores; however, staff may not assist with answering test questions.
- Unofficial test results will be available upon the completion of the exam.
- Scratch paper must be returned to the Testing Specialist before exiting the Testing Center.
- Visitors, children, spouses, family or friends are not allowed in the Testing Center.
- Students must attempt to complete at least one section of the ACCUPLACER Exam in one sitting. Only students who do not finish within the time period allowed will be able to return to complete their exam.
1st Retest: Student will be allowed to retest, as soon as, the next calendar day the Testing Center is open.
2nd Retest: Confidence Builder is recommended prior to attempting (this tool provides additional practice).
If the student does not earn acceptable scores after testing the third time, placement will be in learning support course(s) associated with his/her scores.
Applicants cannot retest if they have begun a Learning Support course.
Once a learning support course has been completed satisfactorily and a final grade has been posted, student can retest in that particular subject one time.
If the required score is not met, the student must continue with the sequence of learning support.
Test Preparation Tools
ACCUPLACER is a comprehensive computer–adaptive testing system that helps to place students in appropriate courses and maximizes the information SCTC needs to ensure student success. ACCUPLACER consists of three components: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. The mathematics components consist of Arithmetic, Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra & Statistics and Advanced Algebra. The test questions are based on your responses to each question you’ve already answered. Questions increase or decrease in difficulty depending on your answers as you work through the test.
ACCUPLACER tests are untimed, so you can move at a comfortable pace. It’s important to give yourself enough time to do your best and complete the test because your results are the key factor in determining the courses you can take. Your results will be available immediately after you complete the test. If a student’s scores reflect learning support is needed, students will be placed in the appropriate courses. Your test scores will determine if you need additional courses and fees. A retest is offered if a student does not meet the minimum requirement score for his/her program.
ACCUPLACER's web-based study app is accessible from any internet capable computer, tablet, or mobile device. The free study app may be downloaded from your computer or your app store.
Building 200, Room 605
501 Varsity Road
Griffin, GA 30223
Flint River Campus
1533 Hwy 19 South
Thomaston, GA 30286
Henry County Center
300 Lakemont Drive
McDonough, GA 30253
Butts County Center
1578 Highway 16
West Jackson, GA 30233
Jasper County Center
112 Industrial Park Drive
Monticello, GA 31064